Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due

Somehow, today a batch of locally made pastries made it up to the J-4 section. I think the DLA (Defense Logistic Agency) guys across the hall were working with a bakery outside the gate trying to get a contract going to supply us with said pastries. They had several different types of examples that they brought up. Among the buns, rolls, and breads was a couple of packages of doughnuts. Fruit filled doughnuts, actually.

It is no secret that I have significant issues with this country and most of the people in it. But as the title above says, I must give credit where credit is due. So here goes. I ate one of those doughnuts. It was probably one of the best I have ever eaten in my life. The dough was light, airy, sweet, and had a texture that seduced my palate. It is no exaggeration when I say it melted in my mouth. It was almost like eating air. The flavor and the ever so delicate texture kept it real. The powdered suger was clean, crisp in it's sweetness, and fresh. Now, honestly the strawberry fruit filling was no better (or worse) than any other I have ever tasted. The rest of the pastry overshadowed it in any case. Though average it was a fitting final touch to something beautiful one rarely experiences here.


Nothing really, to look at. However I equate the experience of eating one of these doughnuts on par or better than eating sliders at the Cozy Inn in Salina.

No comments:

Post a Comment