Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Lincoln Memorial and National Mall

I ventured back to D.C. once more today. My intent was to see the Lincoln Memorial and wander around the Mall and then see a part of the Smithsonian. I was to be disappointed. The entire Mall area was taken over by a rally. This rally was purported to support jobs and unity for the nation. It was a veritable unholy mishmash of unions, antiwar groups, community organizers, various and sundry "workers partys", old hippies, new hippies, code pinkers, race baiters, Israel bashers, and blame America firsters.

I felt very, very uncomfortable walking among these folks. Although we share a country I've never been to where they come from. At least not in such numbers. I believe in freedom, one man one vote, and all that jazz but, and I've been around a while, I cannot conceive they believe some of the absurdity they spout.

They are what Stalin called "Useful idiots". They are the darlings, the base if you will, of the Democratic party. You know -  the party with control of the White House and both houses of Congress. You'd think that they would be satisfied. But no. They want free everything and a chicken in every pot or do they want free pot and forty ouncers for the UAW's lunch breaks? One other thing I found interesting, though, was that each new speaker that come up to the stage at the feet of Abraham Lincoln would say "Salam wa aleikum " or invoke Allah in some way. I find it interesting that Islam is the new "in" religion for the left. I wonder what happened to Gaia. The right reverend Jesse Jackson spoke at one point. I wonder if he is converting. He might - if there's money in it.

I left the Mall and went to the National Museum of American History. I tried to immerse myself in the America I learned about in school. It seemed every display was postured to expose a short fall or negative result of anything we did as Americans. Maybe I was looking too deep but I was uncomfortable of the story I was seeing. I will be the first to admit we, as a nation, have our faults and have done some very bad things. Sand Creek and My Lai come to mind as well as how we have treated various other groups of people over the years. When it comes to our country I do not put on rose colored glasses when I wave the flag. But I wave the flag anyway because that is what it means to be an American. Add to our society. Make it better and secure it for the future. Don't take things away.

I couldn't help but notice, after I left the museum, that some of the rally attendees were slowly losing interest and leaving, and that they were discarding their posters, flyers, and empty box lunches all over the Mall grounds. The jetsam and flotsam of their misguided policies littered the ground like the slime deposited by a slug as it slowly crawls along a garden path. We all have our paths to follow. Right now mine leads to Kabul, Afghanistan. I wonder if they knew today that amongst them wandered a man that would soon feed the beast that will destroy the bodies and souls of the extremist, intolerant, non inclusive, anti gay (officially) and anything but diverse Islamist madmen that they adore so much.

Salam wa aleikum.







1 comment:

  1. Marcus,
    Good stuff, although I must say, I've held out this long following the current trend of social networking "stuff", now you've got me sucked into your blogosphere!
    Look forward to future posits.
    Be safe-Scott

    ReplyDelete