Sunday, October 3, 2010

Vicky and the Wall

My earlier post was an unusual one for me. I don't normally go too political when I express my views publicly. I guess I was just taken by surprise by the status quo in D.C.

Not all was bad there though. The melancholy tour yesterday of Arlington, though emotional, stood in dark contrast to what I experienced across the Potomac. I had to park at the Arlington Cemetery parking lot today because nothing was available anywhere else because of the rally. When I finally started my return journey back to Winchester I had the chance, once more, to be in the company of giants. If not they themselves but their memory and spirit as well as the monuments and memorials that celebrate their sacrifice and moral commitment they had for our country.

Alas, before leaving I did go to a couple of sites that were very important to me. I stopped by "the wall" to pay my respects to the fallen heroes of Vietnam and to give thanks that my dad's name was not engraved there. After circling around the White House and behind the Eisenhower Executive Building I went to see Vicky. In this modern age of a Brigade centric Army no one seems to be loyal to the Division or any other higher echelon, for that matter. I am. I  proudly serve the 1st Infantry Division as it's ammunition manager. Vicky, or Winged Victory, is a monument to the 1st ID and protocol dictated that I stop and see her.













No comments:

Post a Comment