Thursday, November 25, 2010

Move To A New Room

One of the guys I work with (Barry the TAMIS Contractor) is in a room several doors down from me. He and another contractor  were the only ones there. Lo and behold the other contractor guy got a better offer and moved out to the embassy to work for some 3 letter government agencies.

Barry said he had some space and I smelled the opportunity for a bottom bunk. I contacted billeting and got a key. It wasn't long before I went to my new room with an available bottom bunk to stake my claim. I threw the bed together and tossed some stuff in a wall locker (with 2 doors!). Not a moment too soon because fate intervened and denied me a 2 man room. Shortly thereafter another contractor moved in and made it a threesome.

Nevertheless, my quality of life points went up by 5 with this move. I get a bottom bunk and it is now only 74 paces from the door to the latrine. Too bad my total quality of life points are still about -95. Now, don't think that I am oblivious of the conditions that the majority of soldiers over here live in. I am well aware that life in the Afghan hinterlands are both uncomfortable and very dangerous. I get reminded of that every day.

When I did my final move and got all my belongings into the new wall locker the left door fell off. Oh well, at least it still has one door on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment