Friday, September 17, 2010

Baggage

I've been trying to figure out how to move my personal belongings to Afghanistan. The items issued to me at the Deployment Center are all carried in a duffel bag. No sweat, I know how to do the duffel bag drag. When it comes to my stuff and how to move it efficiently, however, I want to make it as easy as possible. I had originaly purchased a DCU MOLLE ruck so I could move my things on my back while doing the duffel bag drag with the other items. Sometimes you have to walk quite a distance with all your gear when you deploy. The idea of humping a fully loaded ruck started to seem a bit too old school for me so I started looking into alternantives. I asked my Deployment Center liason if rolling duffles were OK to use (I read on-line somewhere that their use is discouraged). She said I could use one but the Air Force gets "Pissy"  because the wheels sometimes scratch up the floor in their planes. She said people carry 100 mph tape to tape up the wheels to make the boys in blue happy. Decision made. I'm taking my cavernous Cabela's rolling duffel. I am also taking some straps to secure a duffle bag on top. No duffel bag drag either.

Carryon baggage? I'll be strapping on my Maxpedition Mongo.

No comments:

Post a Comment