Thursday, September 2, 2010

New Journey, New Adventure

This idea has been bouncing around my head for some time now. My work at Fort Riley has always kept the war foremost in my thoughts as I helped supply and manage ammunition for Army units prepping for deployment. Although I am a Desert Storm guy I always thought that just one more deployment might be fun after I retired. So I am going to Kabul, Afghanistan to help the US and maybe NATO manage their Class V supplies. Essentially, I'll be a bullet banker.

While on active duty, especially in the later years, I had no interest in going anywhere without my new family. Now I face this 179 day walk-about with a bit of trepidation. I do not fear for myself. I fear the loss of time with my wife and son. Living with them is the most incredible experience I could ever hope to have. It seems foolish to let precious time be spent away from them.

So why am I doing this? The answer is not so simple. Duty to country and solidarity with our soldiers, lust for adventure, money (yeah the ducats), career reasons, ad nauseum.....

No comments:

Post a Comment