Friday, September 3, 2010

Getting Ready

The process to qualify for this deployment has been quite complicated. When soldiers deploy they are force fed all the things they need to do to get done. Once selected, I had to wade through various web sites to get lists of training I needed, medical exams, and immunizations required. Napoleon said an army runs on it's stomach - I disagree. It's paperwork, plain and simple. "In god we trust but everyone else needs to fill out this stack of forms. Make sure they're complete, legible and that you have sufficient copies."

For those of you out there that might deploy as a civilian I suggest you scan all your paperwork and post them in your files on AKO.

In some cases deploying civilians are allowed to carry a sidearm if the local commander allows it. Nothing, so far, indicates that I will get one. If I travel off the camp I will certainly petition the commander to let me carry an M9.

I went to Custer Hill today and did some PMI (Preliminary Marksmanship Instruction) on the EST 2000. The EST 2000 is a great tool to use before you go out and use live rounds. I qualified expert in short order. This will prep me for the live fire I hope to achieve later this month with a CAV unit here on post. It will be nice to arrive in country with a current qualification.

No comments:

Post a Comment