Friday, December 17, 2010

My Thoughts On Celebrity

I will not gush or fawn over an individual because they are just famous for being famous (Paris? Lindsay? Fabio? What have you done for me or the world lately?). If I enjoy it and there is a general positive benefit to what they say or do I will openly, and without reservation, acknowledge that. I think that success should be acknowledged and respected if it contributes to the betterment of individuals and to society as a whole.
Most “famous” people when viewed at a personal level are very much different from me and cannot relate to my niche in the world. I think Robin Williams is a very, very funny and talented person. I think his extraordinary acting skills are overshadowed, unfairly, by his comedic skills. However, if we were to plop down together somewhere in my world, either in a work shop strewn with excavation equipment off highway 244 or a garage near old highway 40 or even at the counter in my kitchen in rural Geary county, we would sit there and probably just stare at each other.
I was disappointed a bit today as one so called “celebrity’ did not make it to NKC as planned. P4 was supposed to come by but was unable to because of mission requirements. P4 is the nickname for GEN Patraeus. It is en vogue around here to nickname General Officers with the first letter of their last name and the number of stars they have. Whatever… In any case, though not a true celebrity, I was really interested in hearing what he had to say. He may not have made me laugh as hard as Lewis Black or Robin Williams but that’s OK. We have a more intrinsic reason to connect. We have the same goals and knowing where we stand on those goals has more value than a few passing moments of levity.
After all this, I must say, I really appreciate the people that came to visit NKC today. I mean that sincerely. Some are wealthy beyond imagination and need not come here at all. Some, I’m sure, came for the recognition while others came because they truly support the troops if not the mission. All in all I think this is a positive thing and they should be recognized for it. 
For what it’s worth I thank the USO and the following:
Mr. Lance Armstrong
Mr. Lewis Black
Mr. Kix Brooks
Mr. Bob Dipiero
Ms. Kathleen Madigan
Mr. Robin Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment