Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pictures From Inside New Kabul Compound


My first home at NKC. I stayed here 2 weeks. Luckily I had a bottom bunk. There are several tents like this for newbies. They are full of bunkbeds, not much else. I understand some have storage boxes. This one, tent number 5, did not.

A row of containerized latrines. This where one goes to do the three "S" s. They are described in a little bit more detail in an earlier post.

The view as you exit tent number 5. Directly in front is the Chapel tent. They had choir practice on some nights and services on other nights. Though sometimes loud they never kept me awake long.

On the hill in the background are Afghan houses. Every morning when I walked out from my tent it made me nervous to think that there might be someone watching me from up there.


One of the water points scattered around the compound. Bottled water is what we use to drink and brush our teeth with. Once in a while I'll carry a case to the office for coffee.


NKC is compartmentalized with "T" barriers and hesco baskets to mitigate the effects of indirect fire.



The wall in the distance is not an outer wall. It is close though. The green material on top is used to mask activity within NKC and to keep snipers from drawing a bead on you. 

2 comments:

  1. That's not very bright posting pictures of inside the compound to the public. There are still people working here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how, exactly, are these pictures damaging to the people currently on-ground at that location? There are no pictures of the BDOC or TOC. Rotary LZ. I am just confused as to what key information the enemy can gain from these photographs. There is a village on a hillside overlooking the camp. They can see directly into the camp and view personnel movements....maybe some sort of cover should be placed over NKC to prevent anyone from seeing down into the camp.

      Delete